Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Scripture Memory Challenge: Verse 06

I have to admit this has been a bit of a challenging 2 weeks in the scripture memorizing category. I have been spending time studying the Word, have been up earlier every morning to make time for God and have felt my heart grow stronger and stronger in understanding of His faithfulness. But when it comes to memorizing Scripture, it was just another thing on my list and just fell by the wayside.

Of all the stories in the Bible I relate most to the story of Mary and Martha. Luke 10:38-42 hits me every time right between the nose because I am a Martha. Busy, working, distracted, and anxious Martha; working hard to please Jesus but completely missed what it means to spend time with Him. Martha is busy getting ready and preparing the meal, while Mary simply sits and listens to Jesus' teachings. The worst part is that Martha has the audacity to say to Jesus " Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me."  And while I can read that and think "HOW RUDE!" I know in my heart that I would feel that way. I would want everyone to be working so hard to please Jesus and demand that they work as hard as me.

But, Oh how wrong that is! I have been spending so much time getting up early reading the Bible, desperately trying to show the Lord that I am devoted to His will. But I have completely missed what it really means to spend time with Him. To just sit as His feet and listen to His teachings. I've focused on reading the Word but missed what it means to hear His voice. Jesus says in verse 42 "But one thing is necessary, Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." The relationship and power of spending time in His presence will never be taken away. No amount of works or hours spent reading will make up for a lack of time spent listening to His voice. "This the one thing that is necessary"

So I have to say dear friends, that for the rest of March, I am going to go deeper in understanding His sovereignty and spend time thanking Him for His presence. Listening more intently for His teachings.
So here's take 2:
Ephesians 5:20 "And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment