Monday, September 19, 2011

a little creativity goes a long way

I'm getting so excited to have a new home to decorate and fill with little touches. As I was parousing some of my favorite decorator blogs I found some great wreath ideas and couldn't wait any longer.

So I whipped out my glue gun and went to town!

This first one is inspired by this Halloween Wreath from Tatertots & Jello.

 RIBBON WREATH
You'll need
A wreath form
Ribbon: (One thick to cover the form and 4-5 other types 5-7yds each)
Glue Gun

 Start by wrapping the thicker ribbon around the wreath form and secure with a dab of glue

Next cut the other ribbon into 4.5inch strips (go ahead and plan on using the whole roll)
 Fold each strip over and secure with a staple or dab of glue. (It helps to do this before adding to the wreath so you have all your ribbon loops ready to go)

 Go to town adding the loops to the wreath with a glue gun. Start with just one layer, then continue alternating the ribbon patterns until it is full. You can also try switching up the direction of each loop for a fuller look)

 TA DA!!! This one is a 9 inch, I plan on making this big patriotic one for our new front door on base!

BOOK WREATH
This next one was inspired by the book release party The Nester threw for her sister. I can't wait to hang it in the new office to inspire my own creative writing. You can find a great tutorial here.

You Need:
A wreath form
Text heavy book pages
Glue Gun

Begin by tearing the pages of a book. Text heavy pages that are light weight work best 
 Simple roll or fold each piece any way you like, keeping the binding side of the page near the top, and secure it to the wreath.
I have to admit, I got a little frustrated for a while and wasn't sure if it was going to ever take shape, but if you work in layers, filling in gaps all the way around, it fills up rather quickly.
 



Done anything crafty lately?

2 comments:

  1. Love the wreaths! I unfortunately have been bound to making examples for the Kindergarten classroom, so not as classy at this fabulous wreath. You would think an art teacher would have tons of creative projects going on, but no, too much work!

    I'm super excited to see how decorating goes at the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie for commenting and checking in on me. I'd love to make one for your classroom! xxoo

    ReplyDelete