Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Silent Night (Day): Rest

Today I was given a very special gift, a gift that I didn't even know that I needed or really wanted. A gift that will linger with me all throughout the day, and I gift that I hope you will appreciate as well....QUIET.

Learning and accepting the days a lone is one the greatest challenges I have experienced since the move. The busy lifestyle I was used to has suddenly disappeared and left me with an empty apartment and little activity. I have tried hard to fill my days with noise and people and things to do so that I don't feel quite so lonely. I have music playing constantly around the house and make frequent trips to the grocery store for extra excitement. But today, instead of watching Ellen, I sat on the couch and finished reading my book. All I could hear was the sound of my own reading and the clock ticking, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.


It was beautiful. I could literally feel the Holy Spirit filling me with peace and rejuvenation. It was quiet and I wasn't filled with fear or doubt but instead I let the LORD use that time to fill me up.


"Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-29)

When I start to think about the birth of Jesus and begin to imagine what that day and moment must have been like, I don't imagine any feelings of rest for Mary and Joseph. Until the beautiful baby Jesus was born. At that moment it seems like all the earth stood still and Mary and Joseph must have felt an overwhelming peace about them. Check out the last verse of the famous carol Silent Night. I'm sure you sing this every year and it seems so relevant to Christmas time. But today, the last verse is exactly the comfort I got from the peace and quiet of the ticking clock this afternoon.

Silent Night Day, Holy Night Day,
Son of God, loves pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus Lord at thy birth, Jesus Lord at they birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment