Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Song Bird: Praise

Yesterday I got to meet with the dearest friend of mine. For 3 hours we just sat and talked, couldn't even believe what happened or where the time went. We talked about good things and bad things and what God had been teaching us this past year. I knew God was smiling at us, because boy were we smiling!

This has been a time in my life of decision making, and constant direction seeking. As we talked about this she told me about a cross stitch her mother had done during a similar time in her life. It had a picture of a bird on it and said, "The Lord respects me when I work, but he loves me when I sing."

What a beautifully simple truth about our God. There is always a time and a place to be working and God surely blesses our efforts when we work. It is how we provide for our families and contribute to the world we are living in. But what about those times when we just sit back and sing? I think about the Sunday mornings, when we don't go to work but we go to church and simply worship. Or even those days when we are sick, or exhausted and are at the end of our rope and reach out in cry of desperation. We are at our weakest and have no other option but to turn for help. It is our song.
Our song of joy, or of peace, or loneliness, or fear, or even delight. No matter what the feeling or emotion of the day God loves us most when we sing. When we open our mouths and let it rip! It may not sound beautiful to us, but to Him, our cries are an exquisite treasure.

"Sing to the LORD a new song, His praise from the end of the earth, you who go down to the sea, and all that fills it, the coast lands and their inhabitants... let them give glory to the LORD and declare His praise in all the earth." Isaiah 42: 10-12

"I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me. He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. God will send out his steadfast love and faithfulness." Psalm 57: 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment