Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Success

How do you judge the success of your day? Is it by weather you can get the kids dressed and out the door to school on time? By the grades that are reflected on your report card? By how beautiful you think you look in the morning? Weather you make it to the gym or not? Or simply weather you get yourself out of bed to work on time?

Success is such a product of human nature. It helps us align ourselves with others and distinguishes the great from the not so great. But more than that, it opens so many doors for fear of failure and self-defeat. God does not measure success the same way that we do, instead he looks at our life for who we really are, His children of grace.

"You can achieve the victorious life through living in deep dependence on Me. People usually associate victory with success: not falling or stumbling, not making mistakes. But those who are successful in their own strength tend to go their own way, forgetting about me. It is through problems and failure, weakness and neediness that you learn to rely on Me." (Jesus Calling, Sarah Young)

I have been feeling pretty unsuccessful and weak these days. Mostly because I feel like the ground is moving right from under me and I don't know how to grab on or what to stand next to that is sturdy. But that is just it! Today, when I finally had a chance to sit down with my Bible I cannot tell you the instant peace I felt when the pages opened. I did not read a single word but simply the act of opening the Word brought a still across my heart.
I know that God is here in Texas, in the midst of this dry and foreign land and I can feel Him beginning to transform my life here and that is all because I am learning about what really is true and constant, His Word. (So glad to be doing the Scripture Memory Challenge)

I'll leave you with some truth for your life today.
"When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:17-18

"So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the LORD, for we walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment